1. I really shouldn’t have had that ginormous Cobb Salad this afternoon. I enjoyed the hell out of it, but the ensuing personal propulsion, so to speak, is knocking me off balance and I can’t walk from room to room with any degree of grace. Damn you, fiber!
2. I am beyond tired of some people around me whining about insignificant little snafus in their lives, minor bumps in the road that will be forgotten within days, yet the people of Ukraine are dealing with bombs raining from the skies every day. Get some perspective.
3. I am currently obsessed with playing every release in the “Assassin’s Creed” video game series, doing so on my beloved XBOX One that has brought me more joy over the years than anything I ever did in my 30 years at Verizon. Some days I feel the full weight of my 57 birthdays. Other days I’m 12 years old again and I just want to get lost in 15th century Italy and right the wrongs in a fleeting, vaporous, means-nothing-in-the end journey of temporary validation.
4. The blatant and despicable racism and misogyny of certain Republican Senators during the ongoing Supreme-Court confirmation of more-than-qualified Ketanji Brown Jackson is reprehensible and disgusting. In a just world, we would never hear from these Senators again. Sadly, they will be in the news tomorrow, slamming somebody else they’ve been taught to hate.
5. Attention Pop-Tart afficionados: There are two new flavors on the market, “Eggo” and “Lemon Crème Pie”. They are delicious, and there is no reason why you should still be sitting at your computer and reading more of this post instead of jumping in your car, intent on a search-and-seizure mission. Go!
6. Bring back the libel and slander laws which used to be sacred in this country, and let’s actually enforce them. Fox News would be off the air overnight, along with all the other diabolical, venomous propaganda machines of the Right Wing.
7. I never met a Chinese Buffet that I didn’t appreciate in some way. I have needs, people.
8. Climate Change is real and if we don’t do something about it, pronto, we’re screwed. If you still don’t believe that at this point, you’re an idiot.
9. We’re in the midst of binge-watching Season 10 of “American Horror Story”. So far, it’s twisted and weird and not entirely satisfying (as has been the case for several years now), but there are great moments, and we keep tuning in, hoping that the producers get us back to where we once belonged. The first three seasons of this show were phenomenal, and I miss that.
10. Joe Biden does not have the best advisors around him (did you possibly hear about that Afghanistan mess?), but at least he is trying to do the right thing, which is far more than Trump ever even considered during his four years of autocracy and Putin worship. Quit nitpicking and support hope.
11. It’s springtime in Texas, which means that tornadoes are racing across the land, intent on malevolence. Why am I still here? I clearly didn’t pay any attention to my high-school guidance counselor when she tried to explain life-responsibility to me. But I have SO many books, and it would take 3 years to pack them all up, so here I sit, still.
12. The worst thing you can ever do is to stop caring about your fellow man, pretending that his life isn’t somehow your own.
13. Three stray cats have given birth on our property over the last few months. The hundreds of offspring are really cute, but since we feel compelled to help feed them, I can no longer afford moving to Spain for my golden years. Life is tricky, eh?
14. The minefield art of balancing a yearning to maintain a good relationship with certain family members whilst realizing that their toxic and hate-filled political leanings are abominable can be straining on your soul. At what point do you say enough is enough? I struggle with this daily, and it rips me, hard. What happened to you that didn’t happen to me, even though we were once tight? Because I don’t get it.
15. When all else fails, listen to an Elton John song from the early 70s. And then do it again.
16. So, now we have all these red states shoving through legislation that tramples on the rights of gay and transgender folks. It’s thoughtless and vicious. Then again, the Republican party can’t exist unless they have someone to hate. Find an innocent “enemy”, make that the theme of the year, and rile up the ignorant and clueless base of your party. You’ll suffer the consequences of this, eventually, but not soon enough for me.
17. The time I most cherish, in any given day, is the middle of the night when I’m writing these words and everyone around me is asleep, even the stray kitties in the backyard who don’t care about social media and never will, bless the beasts and the children of such, intent on their innocent pursuit of a simple life, where a falling leaf is a marvel to behold.
18. At what point will we awaken the decency in us all and finally stop the madness of Putin and Kim Jong-un and Viktor Orban and Donald J. Trump and, well, there’s a stunningly-long list at the moment. Stop pretending that those tyrants don’t affect you directly. There is no excuse that can justify your complacency. No one is safe if everyone is not safe from the madness of madmen.
19. The one thing I will always do is sing along to the songs that spoke to me in quiet ways during my quiet years when I was still figuring out how not to be quiet.
20. We’ll get there, someday, that place of good and right. And I always hope that one little word in the many that I scribble, late at night, will contribute in some small way to the path that we have yet to find.